Alcohol Action Ireland – Review
Looking back over 2022, I would like to share with you a remarkable account of the work being done by Alcohol Action Ireland. This organisation is helping change the harmful and hazardous drinking culture that is so pervasive in our society, and I am proud to be a part of it. Here are some positive changes and work that have happened over the year:
- a decade after it was first proposed, Minimum Unit Pricing for alcohol was finally introduced in January.
- the implementation of the Public Health (Alcohol) Act was the publication and notification to the European Commission in June of the regulations around the health information labelling of alcohol products.
- published a progress review report in December and pointed to the need for a statutory Office for Alcohol Harm Reduction which would drive policy in this area.
- advocated strongly for the introduction of Operation Encompass to Ireland – a data sharing programme between police and schools to provide immediate support for children witnessing domestic abuse.
- held a webinar which examined pathways to treatment services and in September, to mark Recovery Month, published a language guide for media to help tackle stigma in this area.
Long may this wonderful work continue in 2023.